Monday, April 9, 2012

Hidden Messages - The Shorthand Message

Kathryn has replied to my earlier post (Can anyone read shorthand?) with a translation - which is not very secret - but reminds us that many people exchanged post cards merely to add to each other's collections. (Perhaps a bit like the way some people now collect friends on Facebook!)
Dear Mr Uphill  Thank you for your lovely postcard of Dorchester. You said I think that you liked pictures of churches. Have you ever seen a photo of this church before? I myself think that houses would be such a delightful collection of postcards. You said that you like foreign correspondents best,  I think everywhere today,  I have a correspondent in China, Malta, Gibraltar and in America, and find it very interesting indeed. Yours sincerely 
So my Hidden Messages page now has two examples - but I would love to find some more on Hertfordshire cards. Definitely some used number codes (1=A, etc - or even more sophistcated). 






No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.