Saturday, May 18, 2013

A few thousand miles off topic ....

Help Desk
Pagoda on the Irrawaddy
 near Mandalay,  by Edith Pinhay

Because I have a lot of post cards on my web site - together with pages on the publishers - I occasionally get questions about post cards which have nothing to do with Hertfordshire. I recently got a request to identify Edith Pinhay, who painted views of Tigyaing, Myanmar (Burma) in 1908, which appear on Tuck's "Wide Wide World" series of post cards. Normally I ignore such way out requests but this one caught my imagination.

I discovered that Edith Ogilvie Lovell was born in Calcutta (Kolkata, West Bengal) in about 1874 and was staying with her sisters  Mrs Dora Turner and Miss Effie Lovell in Colchester, England, at the time of the 1891 census. She married Arthur Francis Pinhay, 2nd son of Sir Robert Hill Pinhay in India, and, in addition to painting pictures of Burma returned to England where she died in 1957. In addition I was able to pass on the email address of someone researching the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is the newsletter for the Genealogy in Hertfordshire Web site. Comments on this blog are moderated and may be transferred to the web site where appropriate. If you have a local or family history query you want answered you must use "Ask Chris" - See box in right hand column. Anonymous comments cannot be answered.